Tuesday, January 17, 2012

We Hit a Milestone

Parker's baby book has all sorts of milestones to remember--first steps, first haircut, first family outing. But they forgot a very important one.

First public tantrum.

Apparently Barnes and Noble is the place to go with kids, or so I've heard. Kris thought it would be a disaster. Lots of books + a todldler who loves pulling things off shelves = pissed off B&N employees. I still wanted to see what the hype was all about so off we went.

I was expecting something totally awesome (like what I don't know--maybe a life size plush tiger or treehouse with ropes to swing on) but what I got was a kiddie table and one of those table train things. Okay fine, we'll work with it. Parker was playing with the train set until a crazy hyper 3 year old boy and his scary looking Grandma entered the mix.

Slow tears started flowing. Then she wanted a snack, but dear God we ran out of the freaking Cheerios. NOT THE CHEERIOS! So fine, we'll get our coats on and go home. But Parker was not cool with that. She let out a series of unrecongnizable sounds which I'm pretty sure where obsecnities in baby talk and put on a great show.

Arching her back. Kicking her feet. Wailing her arms. Screaming.

It was epic.

I tried Toddler-ese and the Fast Food Rule compliments of The Happiest Toddler on the Block. Basically you mimick the childs frustration and repeat their feeling. So I'll say "Parker's mad. Very mad! Mad mad maaaad!" with a mad look on my face. The point is that you let the child know that you understand their frustrations so they feel that they are being listened to. I know, it sounds wacko and I probably looked wacko doing it. But I have this great gift (curse?) of not caring how other perceive me so I went with it.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. What do you think happened this time?? Yup, major fail.

Somehow we made it out the car, turned on the radio, and our little girl danced in the front seat to Rihanna, and all was good in the world.

Thanks, Rihanna. You saved the day.

Happy 15 months to my sweet pea! I'll update all about her past month soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment