Friday, January 13, 2012

Let's Be Green--and Cheap

I like saving money almost as much as I like spending it. Don't get too excited hubby--I said almost.

A few years ago I got on a green kick and I'm still kicking away. I go through times where I obsess over something and then I drop it--much like when I went on a baking craze to make Parker the perfect birthday cake. I was elbows deep in flour, sugar, and fondant more nights than I care to mention and haven't made another cupcake since. My waist thanks me.

Now I don't like to clean my house. House cleaning is a profession for a reason and one that I would like to stay far away from. So until (1) my house learns to clean itself or (2) I finally break down and hire a house cleaner, I need cleaning products. Enter: DIY cleaners. Cheap, simple ingredients, and eco-friendly. It practically has my name written all over it. All you need is: 

 
Dr. Bronners. So the label is really creepy. I get it. But the product is good and while it seems expensive a little really does go a long way. Trust me. 















Lavender Oil. The only place I found this was at Whole Foods and, shocking, it was overpriced. I scored it from Amazon. 

 
Borax. Google is not helping me figure out whether this product is "green" or not so I've been skipping it.


 












Home Depot spray bottles. They actually work unlike most other ones I have tried. That is until I ask Kris to clean the pee on the bathroom floor (that he blames on me even though it's physically impossible) and the thing breaks. Highly suspicious.

If you want to follow in my footsteps here ya go.  Compliments of Macheesmo.

Lavender Anti-Bacterial Spray
- 1 Cup water
- 20 drops lavender essential oil
All-Purpose Cleaner 
- 3 Tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 Teaspoon washing soda
- 1/2 Teaspoon castile soap
- 2 Cups hot water
Grease Cutter 
- 2 Cups water
- 1/4 Cup castile soap
- 10 drops lavender oil
Bath, Sink, Tile Cleaner .
- 2/3 Cup baking soda
- 1/2 Cup castile soap
- 2 Tablespoons vinegar
- 1/2 Cup water
- A few drops of Tea Tree oil
 Viola! Now off to enjoy my evening by not cleaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment