Tuesday, August 30, 2011

I Don’t Know How She Does It

I haven’t read the book but I’m looking forward to seeing the movie starring Sarah Jessica Parker, especially since I’m partial to her last name. And by seeing the movie, I mean waiting until it’s available on pay-per-view and somehow convincing Kris that this will be the best movie of the year and he must watch it. Must.

The movie is about a working mother and the non-stop balancing act between work, children, and the million other things in life. I was reading the trailer and the phrase “non-stop balancing act” really hit home for me. With being a working mama the juggling act is forever on-going. But I feel like I have a handle on it. I wake up super early and stay up super late. I manage to find time to make Parker's food, cloth diaper, keep the house tidy, and put dinner on the table for me and Kris. Sometimes said dinner doesn’t happen until 9pm, but it sure tastes good by that time because you’re starving. It took a few weeks and a few conversations with fellow working mamas to figure out what works best, but I’ve got it down now.

While on maternity leave I often thought to myself, how do working mom’s do it?? You just do. You figure out how to get things done, even if that means staying up until midnight doing laundry and, let’s not lie, catching up on the Kardashians. You learn to appreciate stores that stay open late (love you Target!), curse those that close early (I’m looking at you, Whole Foods and every.single.mall), and appreciate online shopping more than you ever thought was possible. You learn how to function on little sleep. My natural adrenaline keeps me going. I honestly don’t realize how exhausted I am until my head hits the pillow at the end of the day. Life is busy, hectic, and crazy no matter what your situation--whether you work, stay at home, go to college, or do a little of everything. But once you get in a groove it’s great. Until the thing that makes your groove wakes up at 330am to play like last night. Still love her to pieces ;)

And now I present you with Parker getting tricked by what she thought was a paci when really it was just a paci case thing. And one of her new favorite toys--the Altoid tin.





No comments:

Post a Comment