Saturday, April 14, 2012

Long departure musings

I'd like to think that Kris and I are pretty much equals--we both work, both change diapers and give baths to the little miss, both whip up tasty eats that have a 50/50 chance of ending up in Parker's mouth. However, after this week I've noticed that things aren't quite as equal as I previously thought.

Some particular husband up and left me and the babes to play in France. I call it play, he calls it work. Same difference. For an entire week I've been left to do it all which entails: getting Parker and I both ready in the morning, her off to school and me to work, dealing with mutual fund cost basis, SEP contribution limits, and the tax filing deadline for 8 odd hours (hello people, this deadline didn't just sneak up on us out of the blue. It's the same year after freaking year), chasing Parker around the daycare playground, coming home and walking through the sub with Parker and wagon in tow until she decides at the bottom of the hill in the next cul-de-sac over that she is DONE with the wagon and demands to be carried back home, whip up something easy and edible while Parker asks for "more kee" aka cheese (she's definitely my daughter), feed and take out the dog who then runs off to chase someone walking down our street as I run with Parker trying to catch her, change diapers, take out the trash, pick up the house, unload and reload the dishwasher as I try to make sure Parker doesn't let the plates meet the hard ceramic floor, get Parker's food, milk and water ready for school the next day, wash, dry and put away clothes including poopy cloth diaper laundry all while simultaneously playing with Parker so that I don't have to encounter tantrums which she has mastered. Oh, and the bulk of this takes place from 530pm to 930pm.

I need some coffee.

I don't know how single moms do it. Props to all you ladies. I took the day off on Wednesday to stay home and take a much needed break. Parker and I spent the day shopping, playing outside, and relaxing. It was glorious. I don't think that I really realized how much Kris actually does until he went to beret wearing land. He does the dishes, the diaper laundry, takes out the trash, and lets Sydney out and so on and so on. Oh yeah, he also finishes basements and demolishes bathrooms which all = pulling more weight around here than his counterpart. I think that I'll keep him around ;)

Parker agrees.



No comments:

Post a Comment