Wednesday, July 13, 2011

More Hocking Hills!

We spent the afternoon of our first full day poolside. The Hocking Hills State Park has a huge pool with waterslides and I couldn’t wait to introduce Parker to the water. Kris and I were nervous about how the afternoon would turn out since Parker was a bit fussy, but as soon as she hit the water she was all smiles and giggles! She loved being thrown up in the air, being spun around in the water, and “swimming” on her tummy. I was planning on having Parker start swimming lessons like yesterday but I think that we will wait until around one, one and a half to get her started since the lessons are more involved at that age then they would be right now.

The next day we woke up early thanks to our precious little alarm clock and headed to Ash Cave. And again, we were not disappointed! This cave had a lot of exploring to do but unfortunately it was a bit too slippery for Parker and I to venture off from the main area so Kris and Sydney explored on our behalf. While high up in the cave Kris ran into one of his coworkers. Small world! After spending a lot of time at Ash Cave it was time to relax at our cabin before heading back out to the pool. All in all a successful day. That was, until dinner time…

The restaurants are far and few between in Hocking Hills but we were lucky, or so we thought, to have a restaurant on site. We headed to it our second night and everything looked great…clean, nice looking, and there were a few other patrons. Then we opened the menu. Chicken, shrimp, steak, and beef were nowhere in site. Instead, they had rattlesnake, venison, rabbit, and things of the like. I wish that I had my camera on me to snap a picture of the menu. The dishes actually sounded good, sans wild game—they were made with yummy veggies, cheeses, and sauces—but we opted for the Roasted Red Pepper and Gouda soup and Fish and Chips. The soup was absolutely incredible. I’m on a mission to find a recipe that mirrors this deliciousness. The Fish n Chips…not so much. I took a couple bites, Parker started getting fussy, so we left. I was disappointed that I didn’t get to try their desserts. Another table ordered a Smores dessert thing and it looked so good! Before going to the Grouse Nest, Kris and I nicknamed it the Gross Nest just to be funny. Little did we know! We also wondered how they were able to turn a profit being in such a rural area. When you catch your own food it must be a good return!

Up next...my fabulous 28th spent in heaven on Earth...ATHENS!













































No comments:

Post a Comment